I kind of hate new year’s resolutions. There, I said it.
I love the idea of dreaming and believing in something for the next year that you want to stick to, but I also find it can be stifling and I struggle to commit to something I can’t change. I’m not the kind of person who likes to be put in a box of any kind. Yes, I know, it’s all in my head and I can do whatever I want, but for some reason, it just always stresses me out. But thankfully in a way, 2020 has changed my perception of expectations and I’ve come to realize that life doesn’t have to be so intense all the time — all or nothing, here or there. Sometimes, we can just sit in the unknown and see what that has to say for us.
I’m sure 2020 wasn’t what any of us expected or anticipated, and for me, it’s daunting thinking of a new year approaching and what it might entail. Rather than lofty accomplishments I probably won’t achieve or feel stuck to, I really wanted to focus on actionable, simple steps I could take to get more grounded and centered in the year ahead. I’m a big believer that by establishing easy habits that we can stick with, we’ll actually make it to the big goal we originally intended for.
Think about the essential reason for resolutions. It’s just things we resolve to change or adjust in a specific amount of time. That’s it. There’s nothing necessarily magical about it (it’s what you make it!) or life-altering. It’s the work you put in and the alignment of yourself that makes it into what it is. Resolutions are just the conduit for the change we want to see in our lives. And I know I speak for all of us when I say we want to see some changes in the new year.
I personally am vowing to create a list that brings me joy rather than stress and helps support me through the year rather than unearth me.
With that said, I’ve come up with 10 easy New Year’s resolutions ideas to help you craft yours for the year ahead. Make sure to scroll to the end of this post to download a little workbook I made for you to create your own 2021 resolutions. Here’s to a new year.
- Have a water bottle with you at all times.
- Do 1 thing consistently every morning or evening that sets you up for a good day.
- Place your book where you want to read it.
- Do 3-5 minutes of breathing exercises after a workout.
- Swap candy for fruit when you’re craving sweets.
- Set your appointments for 15 minutes earlier to always be on time.
- Spend 24 hours once a week off of social media.
- Set a timer on your phone for 5 minutes and tidy as much as you can before the day starts.
- Listen to guided meditations while taking a shower.
- Write down one thing you’re proud of yourself for before bed each night.